The smoke within a bong may be cooled by using the device’s ice catcher, a small groove in the glass that can retain a few ice cubes. While this is undeniably a great perk of glasses with extended necks, the reality of a melting ice cube gradually raising the water level in the chamber is awkward at best and messy at worst.
Glycerin Coils Rescue
Luckily, glycerin coils solve the issue. Glycerin coils chill smoke like ice without melting, solving watery problems. They also let little bits chill their smoke without ice catchers. As glycerin coils appear in tiny and big chunks, it’s time to learn the fundamentals.
A Glycerin Coil
Glycerin coils, sometimes called condenser coils, are freezable glass components used as bong necks.
Glycerin, a non-toxic liquid composed of fatty acids, is used as a sweetener and preservative. It moisturizes soaps. Since it stays in position and stays frozen longer than ice in bongs, it’s a good alternative to ice. Click here to read more on bongs and bubblers. Unlike an ice tray, it freezes rapidly.
The Natural Origin
Triglycerides, glycerol esters containing long-chain carboxylic acids, are present in plants and animals. These triglycerides react, saponify, or transesterify to create glycerol and fatty acid derivatives. Hydroxide changes triglycerides into alcohol, fatty metal salt, or soap.
Propene may make glycerol. To make epichlorohydrin, one must first chlorinate propylene to reveal allyl chloride, then oxidize the allyl chloride with hypochlorite to reveal dichlorohydrins, and then react the dichlorohydrins with a strong base. Hydrolyzing epichlorohydrin yields glycerol. A compound made of acrolein and propene can be turned into an alcohol without the use of chlorine.
- Glycerol is soluble, transparent, virtually colorless, odorless, viscous, hygroscopic, and hygroscopic.
- Pure alcohol boils at 290 degrees C at 760 mm gas pressure.
- Alcohols’ molecular connection lowers glycerol’s pressure.
- Glycerol’s non volatility makes it useful in many ways. Thus, glycerin solutions have several pressure and partial pressure measurements. At ambient temperature, 100% alcohol’s pressure is 0.001 mm Hg, while at 100″ C, it’s 0.2 mm.
- Hygroscopicity: As a gas desiccant, anhydrous alcohol has a very high affinity for water. Absorbing and holding moisture is vital. It is used as a material and as an acquisition agent, where the alcohol and water function as plasticizers.
- Temperature: 18.17°C is the freezing point. Due to its supercooling and water’s strong influence, glycerol seldom crystallizes.
- Thermal Conductivity: Water concentration increases alcohol solution thermal conduction. Temperature increases linearly.
Supercooling causes a rise in glycerol’s viscosity, and at temperatures between -70 and -1 degrees Celsius, the liquid transforms into a stiff glassy state. Its physical constants are closer to crystalline than liquid glycerol when vitreous.
Glycerin Coils: How Do They Work?
Glycerin coil portions are detachable to reduce bong breakage while taking it from the freezer. After freezing, the coil fits into the bong body, allowing a beaker base or inline perc for a filtering double-punch.
Fill the Pipe
Freezable pipes are really the Best Dab Rigs because they utilize glycerin to chill themselves, but without a smoke chamber, they just reduce heat. Still, these clever devices might be beneficial for ice-cold hits without a bong.
Clean Glycerin Coils
Glycerin coils may be cleaned like any other item. Isopropyl alcohol and Epsom or kosher salt are all you need. Put two tablespoons of salt in a Tupperware or Ziploc bag slightly larger than the coils. Pour alcohol over the component within the container so it fills the gaps and coils. After 30 minutes, shake again and rinse with cold water.
Like any complicated percolator, glycerin filaments are hard to clean, so it may take many attempts with the alcohol/salt combination or a cleaning with a commercial solution to restore the item to its original gloss.
Capturing Your Reclaim
Cannabis concentrate condensation is called reclaim. If dabbed at the right temperature, it’s strong in THC and little in combustion byproducts. Reclaim may be smoked or converted into edibles. Harvesting it is difficult, particularly with a full rig.
Your reclaim may be used immediately, but dry devices are harsher on the throat.
Water cools and filters the vapor, smoothing the toke. Dabbing your reclaim requires purging the water. When it reaches a hot element, that dab will crackle.
Gather materials before starting. Clear your kitchen and get these:
- Dirty Glass
- Dab Rig
- Baking Pan
- Safe Baking Dish
- Boiling Water
The rig’s severity determines hot water requirements. Silicone oven mitts can handle a hot glass of boiling water. They are inexpensive and simple to clean.
Clean Your Glass
Cleaning and reclaiming your dab rig are the two steps. Check your glass joints for hairline cracks before starting. Use tempered metal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempering_(metallurgy)) products if possible. Avoid using inexpensive glass.
- Start boiling water at the lowest oven setting.
- Empty the dab rig’s catch basin into the oven-safe baking dish.
- Stop filling your dab rig over the reclaim water level with hot water.
- 30-second soak.
- Take your rig and block the holes with silicone oven mitts.
- Shake until the reclaim melts.
- Pour water into the broiler-safe dish.
- Repeat until the glass is clean.
Drain Reclaim Water
To evaporate your reclaim safely, remove any water. If you’ve just finished the first step, you should have some water and reclaimed pieces in a baking dish that can go under the broiler.
- Let as much water fall down the drain and the reclaim to gather on the sides.
- Preheat your oven’s lowest broiler.
- Water will evaporate, leaving a puddle.
- Parchment paper may hold this.
- Evaporation works for foods made from reclaim:
- Dry it.
- Fill the dish with the recipe’s oil or butter.
- Deglaze using a silicone spatula.
- Gather the deglazed reclaim and put it to use in the dish.
- Freeze it for later.
Whether or not to add water to a dab rig is a matter of taste and, ultimately, cost. Reclaim no longer requires a harsh, dry dab. Now you can dab, clean your rig, and retain the reclaim.